Toyota 2GR-FE/FSE/FXE/FZE Engine
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Alabama
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky
Toyota Motor Manufacturing West Virginia
|Also called||Toyota 2GR|
|Cylinder block alloy||Aluminum|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||83 (3.27)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||94 (3.70)|
|Displacement||3456 cc (210.9 cu in)|
|Power output||183 kW (249 HP) at 6,000 rpm
200 kW (270 HP) at 6,200 rpm
201 kW (272 HP) at 6,200 rpm
205 kW (278 HP) at 6,200 rpm
206 kW (280 HP) at 6,400 rpm
227 kW (309 HP) at 6,400 rpm
232 kW (315 HP) at 6,400 rpm
234 kW (318 HP) at 6,400 rpm
241 kW (328 HP) at 6,400 rpm
257 kW (350 HP) at 7,000 rpm
265 kW (360 HP) at 6,400 rpm
|Torque output||317 Nm (234 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
336 Nm (248 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
333 Nm (246 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
346 Nm (255 lb·ft) at 4,700 rpm
350 Nm (258 lb·ft) at 4,600 rpm
377 Nm (278 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
377 Nm (278 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
380 Nm (280 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
400 Nm (295 lb·ft) at 4,800 rpm
400 Nm (295 lb·ft) at 4,500 rpm
498 Nm (367 lb·ft) at 3,200 rpm
|HP per liter||72
|Weight, kg (lbs)||163 (360) 2GR-FE|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for Lexus RX350
|Turbocharger|| Naturally aspirated
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 1.0
(1 qt. per 750 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||6.1 (6.4)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||5,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
|The engine is installed in||Toyota Avalon
Toyota Mark X
Toyota Mark X Zio
Lotus Exige S
The 2GR was developed in 2005 as a replacement for the 3MZ-FE. A 60° V6 1GR aluminium cylinder block with cast iron liners was added with a crankshaft with a 83 mm piston stroke. The 2GR cylinder block itself is a bit shorter than that of the 1GR. They also applied light T-shaped pistons and forged connecting rods.
The 2GR was provided with a timing chain with its lifespan of about 120,000 miles (200,000 km) or longer. Besides, the motor if fitted with hydraulic lifters, so you won’t have to adjust the valves. The featured of the 2GR-FE stock camshafts are as follows: duration 235/235 deg, lift 10/10 mm. In the 2GR-FE, there is a Dual-VVTi variable valve timing system bolted on the inlet and outlet camshafts. Also, a kind of ACIS variable length intake manifold is used. Generally speaking, the 2GR motor possesses a good performance.
The GR series of engines also includes 1GR, 3GR, 4GR, 5GR and 6GR.
Apart from a basic modification, other modifications having their own particularities have been produced.
Toyota 2GR engine modifications and differences
1. The 2GR-FE engine (2005 – present) is a basic model with 10.8 compression ratio, power of 277 HP at 6200 rpm., and a torque of 346 Nm (255 lb•ft) at 4700 rpm.
2. The 2GR-FSE (D4S) type (2006 – present) is similar to the 1GR-FE with a direct injection system. Its compression ratio is heightened up to 11.8 and its capacity varies from 296 to 318 horsepower.
3. The 2GR-FXE engine (2010 – present) is similar to the 1GR-FE operating by Atkinson cycle. Its compression ratio is increased to 12.5, its power is 249 HP at 6000 rpm, and its torque is 317 Nm (234 lb•ft) at 4800 rpm. In addition to that, a kind of engine having 13 compression ratio, capacity of 295 HP at 6000 rpm., and torque of 352 Nm (260 lb•ft) at 4500 rpm. was also manufactured.
4. The 2GR-FZE engine (2010 – present) is a 2GR sport modification possessing a supercharger with a capacity of 325-350 horsepower. It is provided for Lotus Exige, Evora and Toyota Aurion TRD.
Toyota 2GR engine problems and malfunctions
1. Oil leak. It is associated with the oil tube in a VVTi lubrication system. It may seem strange, but that tube was made out of an iron-rubber-iron component. In some time, the rubber part starts to leak.
That malfunction resulted in a great withdrawal of the cars belonging to Toyota. Your engine was produced before 2010, then you should replace the oil line with an all-metal one.
2. The noise of the engine at its start. The problem is associated with VVTi system and is typical of the 2GR/1GR motors. If you are annoyed with those strange sounds, you should repair the VVTi system.
3. A low rate of idle run. It can be easily solved by cleansing the throttle body. You should do it once in 30,000 miles (50,000 km) of mileage.
Beside that, the water pump starts to leak each 30,000 – 45,000 miles (50,000 – 70,000 km) of mileage. To sort that out, you need to get a new pump. Sometimes, ignition coils are disarranged in the first 1GR/2GR modifications.
The 2GR engine lifespan comprises over 180,000 mileas (300,000 km) of mileage. if it is properly maintained and supplied with a high-quality engine oil.
The 2GR is not the best one for naturally aspirated tuning. You should buy MWR pistons fitted to 12 compression ratio with a MWR performance camshafts (duration of 256/256 deg, lift of 10.7/10.7 mm) and cold air intake. You should also do port and polish, purchase a 3-1 headers, performance exhaust system, and set the ECU.
It will help to achieve over 320 horsepower.
2GR-FE Supercharger. Turbo
HKS, TRD supercharger kits are produced for the 2GR engine. You just need to buy such a kit, bolt it on the stock internals and get about 350 horsepower. It will be safe enough. If it’s not enough, you should get new Wiseco Pistons fitted to 9 compression ratio, more powerful supercharger, 500 cc injectors and Apexi Engine Management. Then you should increase boost pressure up to maximal point.
You can assemble a 2GR-FE Turbo (2GR-FTE) in a similar way, but this project will cost extremely high.