BMW N20 Engine (N20B20)
|Manufacturer||BMW Plant Hams Hall|
|Also called||BMW N20|
|Cylinder block alloy||Aluminum|
4 valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm (inch)||90.1 (3.55)|
|Cylinder bore, mm (inch)||84 (3.31)|
|Displacement||1997 cc (121.9 cu in)|
|Power output||115 kW (156 HP) at 5,000 rpm
135 kW (184 HP) at 5,000 rpm
160 kW (218 HP) at 5,500 rpm
180 kW (245 HP) at 5,000 rpm
|Torque output||240 Nm (177 lb·ft) at 1,250-4,500 rpm
270 Nm (199 lb·ft) at 1,250-4,500 rpm
310 Nm (229 lb·ft) at 1,350-4,800 rpm
350 Nm (258 lb·ft) at 1,250-4,800 rpm
|HP per liter||78.1
|Fuel system||Bosch MEVD17.2.4|
|Weight, kg (lbs)||–|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (mpg)
|for F30 328i
|Oil consumption , L/1000 km
(qt. per miles)
|up to 0.7
(1 qt. per 850 miles)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30
|Engine oil capacity, L (qt.)||5 (5.3)|
|Oil change interval, km (miles)||7,000-10,000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C (F)||–|
|Engine lifespan, km (miles)
-No life span loss
|The engine is installed in||BMW 125i F20
BMW 220i F22
BMW 225i F22
BMW 228i F22
BMW 320i F30
BMW 328i F30
BMW 420i F32
BMW 428i F32
BMW 520i F10
BMW 528i F10
BMW X1 E84
BMW X3 F25
BMW X4 F26
BMW Z4 E89
BMW 320i GT F34
BMW 328i GT F34
Production of BMW N20B20 turbocharged 4-cylinder inline engine was launched in 2011. It was introduced as replacement of naturally aspirated 6-cylinder inline N53B25 and N53B30 engines.
N20 cylinder block is made of aluminum with two balance shafts and steel-plated cylinders. Engine also has forged crankshaft with 4 counterweights that is installed with shift. Connecting rods are 144.35 mm long. They are similar to those that are used in BMW N55. FM pistons with negative bias of piston ring are also installed in this motor.
Cylinder head is also similar to N55 combined with valve lift system Valvetronic III as well as Double-VANOS variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust camshafts. TVDI direct fuel injection is implemented in this engine.
BMW N20 twin-scroll Mitsubishi TD04LR6-04HR.15TK31-60T turbocharger operates at 17 psi (1.15 bar) boost pressure.
Intake manifold is similar to the one that is used in BMW N55.
The engine is controlled by Bosch MEVD17.2.4.system.
This motor is used in BMW 20i, 25i and 28i models.
BMW N20 engine modifications and differences
1. N20B20O0 (2011 – present) is a base modification with compression ratio 10 and turbocharger boost pressure operation 17 psi (1.15 bar). It produced 245 HP at 5,000 rpm and 350 Nm at 1,250-4,800 rpm. It is used in BMW 28i models.
2. N20B20O0 (2013 –present) is another version which produces 238 HP at 5,000 rpm and 350 Nm at 1,250-4,800 rpm. It is used in BMW 25i models.
3. N20B20M0 (2012 – present) is a version which produced 218 HP at 5,000 rpm and 310 Nm at 1,350-4,800 rpm. It is used in BMW 25i models.
4. N20B20U0 (2011 – present) is a version with high compression ratio which is up to 11. Turbocharger operates at 8 psi (0.55 bar) of boost pressure using exhaust system of smaller diameter. It produced 184 HP at 5,000 rpm and 270 Nm at 1,250-4,500 rpm. It is used in BMW 20i models.
5. N20B20U0 (2013 – present) is the weakest modification with 10 compression ratio, 156 HP at 5,000 rpm and 240 Nm at 1,250-4,400 rpm. It is used in BMW 18i models.
BMW N20 engine problems and drawbacks
BMW N20 advantages and disadvantages are equal to younger 1.6-liter engine which belongs to BMW N13 series. Problems include vibration, rough idling, high fuel consumption and others. HERE you can learn more about them.
N20 Turbo upgrade. Chip
It is commonly known hot to increase HP rate of BMW N20. You need to buy BMS JB4 chip and get about 280 HP in Stage 1.
If you need more power you are supposed to buy intercooler, cold air intake (for example, Injen intake), downpipe, performance exhaust system. BMS JB4 Stage 2 firmware your BMW will produce 300 HP and dynamics equal to BMW 335i.
BMW 320i to 328i
One of the most popular ways to increase power rate for ordinary F30 320i is to install regular 328i firmware that will increase HP level up to 240-245. At the same time you need to have clear understanding what 328i models is equipped by different pistons with compression ratio 10. It also has exhaust pipe of larger diameter. That is why you need to buy 328i exhaust system and pistons in order to proceed with further upgrade. You also need to install large intercooler, performance air intake and buy BMS JB4. On Stage 2 firmware your BMW will produced about 300 HP.